In 1840 a few Catholic families moved into the Milford area. By 1850 there were enough Catholics to form the nucleus of a congregation. Priests came for Mass from Stonelick, Xenia and Fulton. Mass was celebrated in a parishioner’s home or in the warehouse near the Pennsylvania Railroad Station.
In 1851, Fr. Abraham McMahon was charged with organizing the Catholic families in Milford and in 1853 Milford became a Mission of St. Mary’s Parish in Hillsboro. Fr. J. B. O’Donoghue was placed in charge of this new Mission. A lot was purchased on Main near Elm Street and on December 24, 1855 the first resident pastor was appointed, Fr. Philip Foley. St. Andrew Parish was also responsible for a Mission Church in Loveland, St. Columban, which became a parish in 1859.
June 18, 1865 the first church was dedicated on the corner of Elm and Water Streets as the Catholic community continued to grow in Milford and the surrounding areas.
In the early 1870’s the parish grew to the point when a rectory was purchased and a few years later the parish built a new rectory next to St. Andrew Church at Water and Elm Streets. That rectory is still standing, but the old church was torn down in 1937. The area where the church and rectory were located was flooded often, and on March 5, 1897, the flood did a lot of damage to both the church and rectory; the people rallied to repair both structures.
In 1919 the parish purchased a new rectory at 543 Main Street and enough land to expand into the future. On July 9, 1922, under the leadership of Fr. Edward Creager and with over a thousand people present, the cornerstone of the new church was laid and on June 24, 1923 the new church was solemnly dedicated by Archbishop Henry Moeller.
Fr. Otto Herrmann became pastor in 1947, just as the Milford area was beginning to grow. In 1948 the new St. Andrew Catholic School opened with an enrollment of 123 students, grades one through eight. Sr. Angela Berghaff, S.C. was the first principal.
Stained glass windows were added to the church in the early 1950’s. In the late 1960’s the sanctuary was remodeled to meet the changes mandated by the Second Vatican Council.
The parish soon realized it would very quickly outgrow its facilities, so in January of 1956, 12.37 acres of land on Buckwheat Road were purchased for future growth. About the same time, three parcels of land opposite the church were purchased. On this site, a convent was built in 1956 (now the Parish Offices). The old rectory was demolished and the present rectory was built about the same time.
In 1959 St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School was built on the property on Buckwheat Road to house the increasing number of students. In the early 1960’s the multipurpose room was added to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton School, which soon came to be used for Sunday Mass. In the early 1960’s the first associate pastor was assigned to St. Andrew.
The Milford and Day Heights area continued to grow and along with it St. Andrew Parish grew to over 1300 families, so on October 1, 1976 St. Elizabeth Ann Seton was made a parish by Archbishop Bernardin.
In 1984, St. Andrew Parish purchased the house at 564 Main Street to be used as a convent.
The St. Andrew Parish Center was officially dedicated by Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk on September 21, 1991. The Parish Center is used for fund raisers, assemblies and as a gymnasium.
In 1992 the parish purchased the house at 568 Main Street, which is now the Ozanam House, a homeless family shelter.